This Valentine’s Day is over, but why not think a little outside of the traditional and spoil your honey with breakfast in bed instead of worrying about a fancy dinner ANYTIME????? (Or better yet, you handle breakfast and let him come up with the dinner plans!) Don’t forget the babysitter 🙂
Here are a few ideas to help you pull together a quick inspired breakfast in bed:
- Use a little red food coloring to add a touch of Valentine’s day type magic to your morning meals. Pancake batter, waffle batter, even scrambled eggs can all be shaded a nice pink or red with just a few drops.
- Serve your heart on a platter. Pour pancake batter into heart shapes or use heart-shaped cookie cutters in toast, biscuit dough or as a mold for an egg.
- Focus on a healthy heart. Serve up a big bowl of oatmeal alongside a buffet of topping choices in little bowls. Some ideas to include are: strawberry or raspberry preserves, sliced strawberries, dark chocolate chips, and cinnamon candy hearts.
- Top pancakes, waffles, crepes or French toast with a homemade strawberry syrup. To make, combine 1 1/2 c. water, 1 c. sugar and 2 c. sliced strawberries in a small saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer until sugar is dissolved and sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 t. vanilla or almond extract. (If you want your syrup a little thicker, stir together 1 t. cornstarch with 1 t. water until dissolved. Whisk into syrup while still boiling, and continue cooking until desired consistency.)
- Think pink for toppings. Spread strawberry cream cheese on bagels or strawberry or raspberry jam on toast or English muffins.
After you have breakfast made, deliver it to your sleeping sweetie, light a few candles for a romantic mood, and enjoy the start of your Day! If you’re feeling especially daring, you could even deliver the meal in something a little fun and flirty. Check out In The Mood Intimates for some fun ideas!